[ This article is part of our series of articles about food waste and how to prevent it ]
Food waste is a gargantuan problem that’s not discussed as often as it ought to be. So as is common with challenging issues, contemplating quotes from inspired thinkers, experts, and great writers can be useful. Below we’ve compiled a list of food waste quotes for whatever your use case might be. We hope they’re helpful.
- “If food loss and waste were a country, it would be the third biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions.” - Inger Anderson, Executive Director of the United Nations Environment Programme
- “It’s obscene that we’re dumping knowingly, or through neglect, 40% of our total food production straight into the garbage.” Anthony Bourdain, chef, writer, and documentarian
- “Imagine walking out of a grocery store with four bags of groceries, dropping one in the parking lot, and just not bothering to pick it up. That’s essentially what we’re doing.” Dana Gunders, Executive Director of ReFED
- Food waste isn’t considered a problem because, for the most part, it isn’t considered at all. It’s easy to ignore because it’s common and customary. I have yet to meet someone who is pro-food waste, but many aren’t convinced that it’s important.” - Jonathan Bloom, writer and food waste expert
- "There is food for everyone on this planet, but not everyone eats." - Carlo Petrini, Founder of the Slow Food Movement
- “It's not leftovers that are wasteful, but those who either don't know what to do with them or can't be bothered." - Julian Baggini, writer and philosopher
- “One of the things that excites me most about food waste is how accessible it is. Everyone can participate. It doesn’t matter where you are, doesn’t matter how much money you have, you can reduce the amount of food waste. What that means is that you can put more money back into your own pocket. What it means is that you can reduce your own carbon footprint.” Eve Turow-Paul, writer and founder of the Food for Climate League
- “Waste not, want not” - Author unknown
- “We are trashing our land to grow food that no one eats.” - Tristram Stuart, writer and food waste campaigner
- “To me, it’s sort of funny that wasting food is not taboo. It’s one of the last environmental ills that you can just get away with.” Jonathan Bloom, writer and food waste expert
- “The carbon footprint of U.S. food waste is greater than that of the airline industry.” -Sarah Kaplin, American Journalist
Use These Food Waste Quotes To Fight Food Waste!
Hopefully these food waste quotes prove to be useful in your efforts to fight food waste! If you're searching for more visual resources, or just looking for more information on the matter, check out our list of Food Waste Memes or our Food Waste Resource Directory for a listing of high quality sources of information on the food waste issue.